Mark D. Janis
Robert A. Lucas Chair of Law; Director, Center for Intellectual Property Research
- Contact Information
- (812) 855-1205
- Law Building 311B
B.S. in Chemical Engineering at Purdue University, 1986
J.D. at Indiana University Maurer School of Law, 1989
Advanced Patent Law
Trademark and Unfair Competition Law
Intellectual Property Colloquium
In the News
- Recipient of Leon H. Wallace Teaching Award, 2013
- Co-hosted a conference, "The Future of Design Protection," at Jesus College, Oxford University of Oxford, November 2012
- Filed an amicus brief with the U.S. Supreme Court in Retractable Technologies, Inc., et al., v. Becton, Dickinson and Company (with Donald E. Knebel, Timothy R. Holbrook and Todd G. Vare) (May 2012).
- Winner, 2008 Ladas Award (from International Trademark Association) for the article Confusion Over Use: Contextualism in Trademark Law, 92 IOWA L. REV. 1599 (2007) (with Graeme B. Dinwoodie).
- Visiting Instructor, Munich Intellectual Property Center (January 2008-present); Oxford University and University of Victoria (British Columbia) School of Law summer IP law program (summer 2002-2007); Summer Institute, Center for Advanced Study and Research in Intellectual Property (CASRIP), University of Washington School of Law, Seattle, WA (July 1999).
Mark D. Janis teaches courses in patents, trademarks, and other areas of intellectual property law. He is the Robert A. Lucas Chair of Law and the Director of the Center for Intellectual Property Research. Janis has authored a number of books, including the treatise IP and Antitrust (with Hovenkamp, Lemley and Leslie), Trademarks and Unfair Competition in a Nutshell, two casebooks (Trademarks and Unfair Competition: Law and Policy (3d ed.), and Trade Dress and Design Law, both with Dinwoodie) and other books on trademark law (with Dinwoodie). He has published numerous law review articles and book chapters on patent law, intellectual property and antitrust, trademark law, intellectual property protection for plants, plant biotechnology and intellectual property protection for designs.
Janis is the winner of a Collegiate Teaching Award and a Faculty Scholar Award (both from the University of Iowa College of Law), and INTA's Ladas Award in 2008. At Indiana Law, he was the recipient of the Leon H. Wallace Teaching Award, the highest teaching honor given to law faculty.
Prior to joining the faculty at Indiana, Professor Janis was the H. Blair & Joan V. White Chair in Intellectual Property Law at the University of Iowa College of Law. He practiced patent law at Barnes & Thornburg (Indianapolis) from 1989 to 1995.
- Intellectual Property Rights in Plants (treatise) (with Dinges, Jervis, and Peet) (forthcoming 2013)
- The Origins of American Design Protection (with Jason Du Mont) 88 IND. L.J. (forthcoming 2013)
(with Jason Du Mont) Stanford Technology Law Review (forth. 2013)
- Trademark and Unfair Competition in a Nutshell (with Graeme B. Dinwoodie) (2013)
Functionality in Design Protection Systems (with Jason DuMont), 19 J. INTELL. PROP. L. no. 2 (Spring 2012)
Patent Law's Audience (with Timothy Holbrook) Minnesota Law Review v. 97 p. 72 (2012)
Tuning the Obviousness Inquiry after KSR, 7 WASH J.L. TECH & ARTS 335 (2012)
- Interfaces in Plant Intellectual Property, in Overlapping Intellectual Property Rights (Wilcof and Busheer, eds.) 2012
- IP and Antitrust Law: An Analysis of Antitrust Principles Applied to Intellectual Property Law (2001) (with Hovenkamp, Lemley, and Leslie) (2 vols.) (with annual updates 2002-2009) (2d ed. 2010) (annual updates 2011-).
Trademarks and Unfair Competition: Law and Policy (1st ed. 2004) (with Dinwoodie) (1st ed. supplements 2005, 2006) (2d. ed. 2007) (2d ed. supplements 2008, 2009) (3d ed. 2010) (3d ed. supplement 2011, 2012); (4th ed. forthcoming 2013)
Trade Dress and Design Law (with Graeme B. Dinwoodie) 2010.