Alfred C. Aman
Roscoe C. O'Byrne Professor of Law
- Contact Information
- (812) 855-1902
- Law Building 337
A.B. at University of Rochester, 1967
J.D. at University of Chicago, 1970
Globalization and the Law (L728)
- Regulation in the Obama Era
In the News
- Dean, Suffolk University Law School, 2007-09
- Director, IU Institute for Advanced Study, 2003-07
- Dean, IU Maurer School of Law, 1991-2002
- Executive Editor, University of Chicago Law Review
- Faculty, Cornell Law School, 1977-91
- Associate, Sutherland Asbill & Brennan, Atlanta and Washington, D.C., 1972-77
- Clerk, Hon. Elbert P. Tuttle, U.S. Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit, 1970-72
Professor Aman came to Indiana Law as dean in 1991 and served in that capacity until 2002. Previously, he served for nearly 15 years on faculty at the Cornell Law School and was director of its International Legal Studies program from 1988-91. An internationally known scholar and lecturer, Professor Aman held a distinguished Fulbright chair and taught comparative administrative law at the University of Trento in Italy in March 1998. He has been a resident fellow at the Rockefeller Foundation's Conference Center in Bellagio, as well as twice being a visiting fellow at Wolfson College, Cambridge.
He was elected as an alumni trustee of the University of Rochester in 1979 and continues to serve on the Board as a Life Trustee. He is the author of five books and numerous articles on administrative, regulatory, and deregulatory law, especially as it relates to the global economy. He is the faculty editor of the Indiana Journal of Global Legal Studies, a journal he helped create.
Private Prisons and the Democratic Deficit, in PRIVATE SECURITY, PUBLIC ORDER: THE OUTSOURCING OF PUBLIC SERVICES AND ITS LIMITS (Simon Chesterman and Angelina Fisher, Eds.). Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2009
Privatization and Democracy: Resources in Administrative Law, in GOVERNMENT BY CONTRACT: OUTSOURCING AND AMERICAN DEMOCRACY (Martha Minow and Jody Freeman, Eds.) Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 2009.
Globalization from the Ground up: a Domestic Perspective, in THE IMPACT OF GLOBALIZATION ON THE UNITED STATES: LAW AND GOVERNANCE (Beverley Crawford et al., Eds.) Westport, CT: Praeger Press, 2008.
Politics, Policy and Outsourcing in the United States: The Role of Administrative Law, in ADMINISTRATIVE LAW IN A CHANGING STATE (Linda Pearson et al., Eds). Oxford: Hart, 2008.
- ADMINISTRATIVE LAW AND PROCESS, 2nd ed. New York: Lexis-Nexis, 2006.
- THE DEMOCRACY DEFICIT: TAMING GLOBALIZATION THROUGH LAW REFORM. New York: NYU Press, 2004.
Globalization, Democracy, and the Need for a New Administrative Law, 49 UCLA LAW REVIEW 1687 (2002) [HeinOnline]. Reprinted in 10 INDIANA JOURNAL OF GLOBAL LEGAL STUDIES 125 (2003). [HeinOnline]
- ADMINISTRATIVE LAW, 2nd ed. (with William T. Mayton). St. Paul: West Group, 2001.