Walter W. Foskett Professor Emeritus of Law
In the News
- Harvard Law School Teaching Fellow and Research Associate, International Tax Program (1966-1968)
- Associate, Hess Segall Popkin & Guterman, New York (1963-1966)
- Fulbright Student Fellowship, India (1961)
Professor Popkin is a nationally recognized scholar in tax and legislation. His Fundamentals of Federal Income Tax Law and Materials on Legislation: Political Language and the Political Process are widely used texts in the nation's law schools. He was awarded the Indiana Law's first named professorship for his excellence in research.
Popkin has taught for the school's London Program, and has been a visiting professor at Yale Law School, the Southern California Law Center, the University of Virginia, and Hangzhou University in China. He teaches courses in income taxation, corporate taxation, legislation, and tax policy.
An influential leader in the university, Popkin has chaired many major committees and served as the associate dean of the Law School.
- Evolution of the Judicial Opinion: Institutional and Individual Styles (N.Y.U. Univ. Press forthcoming 2007)
- A Dictionary of Statutory Interpretation (Carolina Academic Press 2006)
- Statutes in Court: The History and Theory of Statutory Interpretation (Duke University Press 1999)
- Materials on Legislation: Political Language and the Political Process (Foundation Press) (4th ed. 2005) and Supplements
- Fundamentals of Federal Income Tax Law (Matthew Bender) (4th ed. 2002) and Supplements