John E. Schiller Chair in Legal Ethics
Academic Director, IU Gateway, Berlin, Office of the Vice President for International Affairs
In the News
"Buxbaum to serve as academic director of new IU Europe Global Gateway in Berlin"
July 8, 2015
"Dean's Desk: Third year offers students opportunity to define, hone skills"
October 9, 2013
"Money manager Vilar's conviction upheld, new sentence ordered"
August 30, 2013
"New lawyers find bloom still not on hiring rose"
The Indiana Lawyer,
May 8, 2013
"IU Maurer professor's legacy lives on at law school"
The Indiana Lawyer,
April 10, 2013
"IU fares well in US News graduate school rankings"
The Herald-Times (Bloomington, Ind.) (sub. req.),
March 12, 2013
"Bringing the real world into the classroom"
February 13, 2013
"Plaintiffs' bar banks on Libor"
The National Law Journal,
August 13, 2012
"Small bank takes on giants in Libor lawsuit"
July 30, 2012
"IU Maurer School of Law offers education studies minor"
Indiana Daily Student,
June 6, 2012
"Dean's desk: Effective legal education depends on strong partnerships"
April 11, 2012
"Auf dem Radar der US-Justiz"
Handelszeitung (Swiss business newspaper),
February 9, 2012
"U.S. lawsuits may be limited over UBS rogue trades"
September 19, 2011
"The Global Lawyer: Ecuador Plaintiffs Survive Chevron"
The American Lawyer,
November 3, 2010
"Ruling Increases Scrutiny of F-Cubed Lawsuits"
November 14, 2008
"Huge gift to 'build on legacy of excellence'"
Bloomington Herald Times,
December 13, 2007
Professor Buxbaum joined the faculty at Indiana Law in 1997 after practicing in the area of international securities transactions in the New York and Frankfurt offices of Davis Polk & Wardwell. She teaches conflict of laws, contracts, international business transactions, international litigation and secured transactions. She has won a number of teaching awards, including the school’s Leon H. Wallace Award, and is a five-time recipient of the Gavel Award for outstanding contribution to the graduating class. Professor Buxbaum has taught as a visiting professor at the universities of Cologne, Kiel, and Nürnberg-Erlangen; in 2013 she delivered a course on international regulatory law at the Hague Academy of International Law.
Professor Buxbaum’s research is in the areas of private international law and international litigation and jurisdiction, and is published in leading U.S. and European journals. Her most recent work has focused on the jurisdictional issues presented in cross-border securities and antitrust litigation. She is also the co-author of a leading casebook on international business transactions. Professor Buxbaum is active in a number of national organizations, including the American Society of International Law, the American Society of Comparative Law, and the Association of American Law Schools. She has been elected to membership in the American Law Institute, where she is currently an Advisor for the Restatement (Fourth) of Foreign Relations Law: Jurisdiction and Judgments, and is a titular member of the International Academy of Comparative Law.
Professor Buxbaum has held a number of administrative positions at Indiana Law, and from January 2012 to December 2013 served as the school’s interim dean. In July 2015, she was appointed academic director of IU's Global Gateway in Berlin.
TRANSNATIONAL BUSINESS PROBLEMS (5th edition, Foundation Press 2014) (with Detlev Vagts, William Dodge & Harold Koh)
A CONFLICT-OF-LAWS ANTHOLOGY (2nd edition, LexisNexis 2012) (with Gene Shreve)
Articles and Book Chapters
- Class Actions, Conflict and the Global Economy, INDIANA JOURNAL OF GLOBAL LEGAL STUDIES (2014 forthcoming)
- Remedies for Foreign Investors Under U.S. Federal Securities Law, 75 LAW & CONTEMPORARY PROBLEMS 161 (2012)
- Jurisdiction and Choice of Law in International Antitrust Law: A U.S. Perspective, in INTERNATIONAL ANTITRUST LAW: CONFLICT OF LAWS AND COORDINATION 225 (J. Basedow et al., eds. 2012) (with R. Michaels)
- National Jurisdiction and Global Business Networks, 17 INDIANA JOURNAL OF GLOBAL LEGAL STUDIES 165 (2010)
- Personal Jurisdiction Over Foreign Directors in Cross-Border Securities Litigation, 35 JOURNAL OF CORPORATION LAW 71 (2009)
- Territory, Territoriality and the Resolution of Jurisdictional Conflict, 57 AMERICAN JOURNAL OF COMPARATIVE LAW 631 (2009)
- Mandatory Rules in Civil Litigation: Status of the Doctrine Post-Globalization, 18 AMERICAN REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL ARBITRATION 21 (2007)
- Multinational Class Actions Under Federal Securities Law: Managing Jurisdictional Conflict, 46 COLUMBIA JOURNAL OF TRANSNATIONAL LAW 14 (2007)
- Reprinted in INTERNATIONAL LITIGATION 2010, Practising Law Institute
- Reprinted in 2009 SECURITIES LAW REVIEW 427
- Cited in Morrison v. National Australia Bank, 561 U.S. 247 (2010)
- Transnational Regulatory Litigation, 46 VIRGINIA JOURNAL OF INTERNATIONAL LAW 251 (2006)